Okay. Today's lectures are on the website, and the answers to the opening questionnaire look very nice indeed. More about that tomorrow.
This thread will start a series of juggling videos that I consider classical. Here is the first one about dropping the requirement that particles travel forward in time. Made by Phil Edwards, a juggling mathematician. Enjoy!
P.S. The two most relevant juggling math papers NOT available on the arXiv are available here and here.
The next video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqDAf_lg9Xs
ReplyDeleteGreg Kennedy is a professional juggler with engineering background. The cone (made by himself) is acrylic and the balls are silicone, so the static friction is large but the rolling friction is small.
There are other types of juggling besides traditional toss juggling (balls, rings, clubs). Diabolo juggling, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed-GME1bzXI
ReplyDeleteThe artists are my friends Rauli Katajavuori, Antti Nerg and Markus Nivala. Note that they are about my age, i.e. not kids anymore, and they still practice the art of diabolo (and other juggling) very seriously. Recently I noticed a TV newsflash about the Chinese economy or something, and the random video footage - a Chinese scene - contained VERY old people playing with diabolos in a park, Tai Chi style. Hopefully I will end up like that too!
Today's lectures are on the webpage. Sorry it took a while.
ReplyDeletePeople often ask me how many objects people can throw. There are a few people in the world who can do a few rounds of 7 clubs, 9 balls or 9 rings on stage.
Here is a video from 2013 of the first (with evidence) 9 club "flash" ever done, by Emil Dahl from Sweden. Flash means "one round", i.e. 9 throws with a clean finish. It may not look too impressive on the video, but the throws (quadruple spins) are about 7 meters high. One club weighs approximately 210 grams. Just watch and think about the releases and the catches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUl78qTkh3Q
Oh, today I put the notes up right after the lecture, but I had to rush to a meeting and didn't announce anything here... Well. Here's a video by that hasn't received that much attention... But I like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53I8waT6UJA
ReplyDeleteThis week's exercises are now on the webpage...
ReplyDelete... And here's another example of spin juggling (as opposed to toss juggling) - poi spinning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrSyQMRfe7g
People have drawn some state graphs for the poi and the diabolo, but no further formalization has taken place so far, and no simulators exist, as far as I know.
The lectures are up. The sources include
ReplyDeleteHäggström: Finite Markov Chains and Algorithmic Applications
Bremaud: Markov Chains (Gibbs Fields, Monte Carlo Simulation, and Queues)
Baladi: Positive Transfer Operators and Decay of Correlations
Katok and Hasselblatt: Introduction to the Modern Theory of Dynamical Systems.
And here's the video of the day - bounce juggling with French elegancy: http://juggling.tv/917
Lectures up. Sources:
ReplyDeleteWikipedia: Stirling numbers of the second kind
Graham, Knuth, Patashnik: Concrete Mathematics (book)
Warrington: Juggling probabilities (paper)
Stanley: Enumerative Combinatorics (book)
Engström, Leskelä, Varpanen: Geometric juggling with q-analogues (paper)
Also updated the exercises a bit.
Video of the day - a true classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjHoedoSUXY
Have a good vappu! The video of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-025pgQrw
ReplyDelete(More on Sunday.)
The exercises are not up yet, because writing some (= four) course exams took me longer than I expected. (Hofstadter's law: Things always take longer than expected, even when Hofstadter's law is taken into account.) Tomorrow morning maybe. Please be patient.
ReplyDeleteVideo of the day - I wouldn't quite call this classical, but it's again more scientific for a change: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFDBcqU5ubQ
Yesterday's lectures are fixed and up, some exercises for tomorrow are up too, today's lectures are written, and I even slept quite well. However, I have to take a step back in my plans: We will stick to the countable model. The continuous scaling limit would be too much, but I will say a few words about it at the end.
ReplyDeleteI also have to admit that I start running out of videos... Okay, there are many classic videos left, but it's hard to find videos that suit this context. Well, it's no big deal I guess.
An interesting thing is that both in juggling and in mathematics there are not too many women around. It's a pity because women often got so much style, especially when they don't just copy what men do. Here's one example of what I mean: http://juggling.tv/796
P.S. Lectures up, exercises fixed further. Sources:
ReplyDeleteDurrett: Essentials of Stochastic Processes (book)
Levin, Peres, Wilmer: Markov Chains and Mixing Times (book)
Leskelä, Varpanen: Juggler's exclusion process (paper)
Here's one for the weekend: http://juggling.tv/1770 . Have a good one!
ReplyDeleteLectures up.
ReplyDeleteHere's a hard trick (nobody else does it on stage) on a cheesy video (sorry about that): http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/koblikovs-kiev-juggling-adventure
All the lectures are up. Will correct the normalization constant error next week. Please let me know if there are other loose ends that I have promised to fix.
ReplyDeleteThe questionnaire should open tomorrow, you should receive an automatic mail if you have registered for the course. Questions 1-7 are common (not mine), question 8 is mine. Please take your time to answer the questions. Also people above me will read the answers. The questionnaire will be open for two weeks.
Here's a dropless stage performance with stuff that most jugglers only dream of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8tbLBls_M
Tomorrow we will hear some hard stuff related to this PhD thesis: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1011.3705.pdf
ReplyDeletePerhaps another video... Here's a Finnish juggling genius, Maksim Komaro, who unfortunately has quit performing and whose performances are unfortunately not available online, except this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivFlrp64gwY